Thursday, November 25, 2010

Hey Look, It's Thanksgiving

I like thanksgiving.  I like hanging out with family, I like the time off from school, I like the food...  Yeah, it's pretty cool.  Well, except for the whole "giving thanks" thing.  If you haven't noticed, I get pretty hung up on the whole "higher power" thing, and the idea of thanking this invisible pink unicorn for stuff when really we all deserve the credit just burns me.  But this is not a rant (notice how it's not under "rants") and I want it to be positive.  So here goes...

I would like to thank my mother.  For basically everything.  You really want a list?  Okay, here's a list: she feeds me, she clothes me, she gives me a place to sleep, she sends me to school, she buys me random presents, she bakes yummy stuff for me and my roommates, she gives me hugs, I can call her in the middle of the school day to bitch about some random classmate that bugs me, I can call her in the middle of the night if I wake up in a panic, she tries to understand all of my oddities, she listens to me when I go off on rants, she listens to me when I talk about science even though her eyes glaze over a bit, she trusts me enough to talk to me about how she's feeling, she trusts me enough to leave me the house when she's traveling the world, she respects that my world revolves around horses and dogs even though hers doesn't, she doesn't yell at me when I come home covered in mud, she would kiss my boo-boos if I needed it, she lets me tell her if her outfit is heinous, she tells me if my outfit is heinous, I could call her fifty times a day and she'd only screen my calls if she knew I was panicking and digging myself in deeper, she would know if I was panicking and digging myself in deeper, she does most anything to see me smile, she puts up with my high-strung terrier because she knows I love him, she only nags me about getting a summer job occasionally, she'll eat lunch at Panera bread three days in a row because I want to, she'll drive me endlessly back and forth from the stables, she lets me borrow her socks, she raises and eyebrow at chocolate cream pie that I snuck into the grocery cart but doesn't take it out, I can send her my unfinished essay and she'll read it and give me pointers over the phone, she gets me tshirts with owls on them whenever she sees them, she doesn't freak out when I curse (usually), she helps me run around in a panic to get everything ready for a ceremony, she puts up with my perfectionism, she calls me on my perfectionism, she helps me organize things when I'm  freaking out about schoolwork at midnight, she doesn't pretend I was a perfect child... let's see; what else?  Oh: she loves me unconditionally and she will always love me and I'm pretty sure she has loved me forever despite the fact that she only learned of my existence twenty-odd years ago (it has to do with the multiverse).

I would like to thank my grandparents; all of them, but one set in particular.  The list is basically the same, though the specifics are different, but you get the gist.  Most of all, I would like to thank my grandparents for being my second parents.  They have given me a foundation to stand on, and I know that I can always come back and they'll be waiting with open arms.  And they love me.  Not "they love me, too" because "too" implies that it follows something, and their love does not follow; it deserves its own continent.  They each deserve their own continent.  Grandmasia and Grampalia.

I would like to thank my cousin.  He is like my brother, and we've had our differences but we've never been closer than we are now.  I want to thank him for his success; I am so proud of him and all he's accomplished, and how he's turned out to be a really great person despite all the adversity in his life.  I want to thank him for being cool with the fact that I'm crazy, and being okay with me thinking he' s crazy too.  I mean, everyone's crazy, but we're special.

The rest of the thanks are pretty general; there were just some outstanding ones.  You know how it is.  I would like to thank everyone I've known for making me who I am today.  I'm still here so it can't be all bad...  I would like to thank everyone in my family for everything they are.  I would like to thank all of my classmates for everything they are (yes all of them).  I would like to thank the academy.  I would like to thank all of my teachers, especially some really great kindergarten and high school teachers.

So there you have it; not a complete list but I don't think I'd actually be able to put the real list down in time for thanksgiving in ten years.  This guy sorta sums it up pretty well.  So that's my challenge to you: this thanksgiving, seek out the real people in your life and let them know that they have the credit.  And enjoy the time you have with the people you love; that's the most important thing in the world.

Happy Thanksgiving! ~argent wolfwing

No comments:

Post a Comment